Communities are at the heart of local government professionals. This award recognises those organisations and individuals doing outstanding community-facing work.
2018 Excellence in Community Development & Service Delivery Award Winner:
Dads Matter – City of Casey, VIC
Congratulations to the team: Glenn Reincastle, Daniel Winstone, Kim Reynolds, Ann Addinsall and Virginia Lloyd.
The City of Casey’s Dads Matter program was designed because council recognises the important role that fathers, step-fathers, grandfathers and other men play in a child’s life. Council funded the program to develop opportunities that celebrate and recognise their importance as active contributors to their children’s development.
Dads Matter provides an avenue for dads to prioritise spending time with their children and building relationships. It does this through a range of ways:
- The Read-Play-Make program develops strong relationships between children and dads through literacy based activities.
- The Cook It with Dad program provides opportunity for dads and children to experience cooking healthy meals together.
- The Dads’ Little Builders program has been designed to encourage children and dads to connect through creating and building, while developing practical and creative skills.
- The Daytime Dads Playgroup is designed to support and acknowledge Dads spending time at home during the day with their children.
- Daytime Dads reduces isolation through connection – especially relevant to newly arrived families, those with irregular work hours and stay at home dads.
- Dads Nights, held in partnership with primary schools, are leading the provision of support to fathers to engage in the school system during the crucial years of a child’s development.
- Pop Up Playgroups operate across the municipality, with a Dads Matter officer involved.