Local Government Professionals Australia offers Australian local government officers international exchanges with local government peers in the US and New Zealand annually. The two-week exchanges involve attendance at in-country local government conferences and a one-week workplace visit to a peer’s local government.
With mutual borders reopening to Australians and New Zealanders, Local Government Professionals Australia is offering one member from the LG Professionals network in WA, SA, Tasmania, NT, NSW or Victoria a unique opportunity to participate in an International Professional Exchange.
This two-way exchange, in collaboration with Taituara, between an Australian and New Zealander counterpart sees members of LG Professionals State Associations or those with a National Council Package networking with local government practitioners overseas and learning about best practices that they can apply in their own organisations and communities.
How the Program Works
A local government officer from New Zealand is brought to Australia to attend Local Government Professionals Australia’s National Conference & Business Expo where they meet their Australian counterpart. Following this, they are hosted at the Australian participant’s local government.
The successful Australian participant similarly visits New Zealand to attend the Taituara Summit and spends a week at their New Zealand counterpart’s local government. For more information please see the information sheet.
- Be part of a local government with a National Council Package with LG Professionals Australia or be a member of an LG Professionals State Association for a minimum of six months (applications open for WA, SA, TAS, NT, NSW and VIC – LGMA Queensland have a standalone exchange program that can be applied for directly)
- Be currently working in the Australian local government sector in a Director or senior management role
- Be able to host exchange counterpart for one week in their home
- Have approval from current employer to take a leave of absence for two weeks
- Have not travelled overseas under any other programs of Local Government Professionals Australia in the last two years
How to Apply
Applications are now open for New Zealand exchange.
To apply please complete the application form linked below and submit to Alex on [email protected] along with a current CV and Local Government Organisational Chart by Tuesday 20 July.
If you have any questions or require further information about the Exchange Program, please contact International Program Manager Alex at [email protected] or on (02) 6230 1824.