In 2020 LG Professionals Australia is offering spots for Australian local government professionals on two exchanges with local council peers in the US and New Zealand. The two-week exchanges will involve attendance at the ICMA or SOLGM conferences and a one week workplace visit to a peer’s council.
In collaboration with International City/County Management Association (ICMA) and SOLGM, LG Professionals Australia is offering members a unique opportunity to participate in an International Professional Exchange.
This two-way exchange between an Australian and US/NZ counterpart sees members of the LG Professionals network or National Council Package holders networking with local government practitioners overseas and learning about best practices that they can apply in their own councils and communities.
How the Program Works
Our International partners will send a representative from a US local council to attend the LG Professionals Australia National Conference & Business Expo on the Sunshine Coast from 24-26th August 2020 where they will meet their Australian counterpart. In the following week, they will be hosted at the Australian participant’s local council.
The successful Australian participant will similarly visit either North America to attend the ICMA conference in Toronto Canada from 23-26 September 2020 and will spend a week with their US counterpart’s council; or will travel to New Zealand to attend the SOLGM Summit 9-11 September 2020 and will spend a week at their NZ counterpart’s council.
- Be a member of an LG Professionals State association or be a staff member from a National Council Package holder for at least the last six months
- Be currently working in the Australian local government sector in a management role
- Be able to host exchange counterpart for one week in their home
- Have approval from current employer to take a leave of absence for two weeks
- Have not travelled overseas under any other programs of LG Professionals Australia in the last two years
- For US exchange, be able to obtain the relevant US visa
Please note Members from LGMA Queensland and LG Professionals Australia NSW are not eligible for the New Zealand exchange.
How to Apply
For full details, download the information pack for US exchange or NZ exchange. To apply, download and complete the Application Form 2020 and send this along with a current CV and an organizational chart from your council identifying your position to Alexandra Ford at [email protected].
If you have any questions or require further information about the Exchange Program, please contact Alex at LG Professionals Australia at [email protected] or on (02) 6230 1824.