Local Government Professionals Australia offers Australian local government officers international exchanges with council peers in the US and New Zealand annually. The two-week exchanges involve attendance at in-country local government conferences and a one week workplace visit to a peer’s council.
In collaboration with International City/County Management Association (ICMA) in the US and Taituar? in New Zealand, Local Government Professionals Australia is offering members of the LG Professionals network a unique opportunity to participate in an International Professional Exchange.
This two-way exchange between an Australian and US/NZ counterpart sees members of LG Professionals State Associations or those with a National Council Package networking with local government practitioners overseas and learning about best practices that they can apply in their own organisations and communities.
How the Program Works
Our international partners send a representative from a US local government to attend Local Government Professionals Australia’s National Conference & Business Expo where they meet their Australian counterpart. Following this, they are hosted at the Australian participant’s local government.
The successful Australian participant similarly visits either North America to attend the ICMA conference and spends a week with their US counterpart’s local government, or travels to New Zealand to attend the Taituar? conference and spends a week at their NZ counterpart’s local government.
- Be a member of a Local Government Professionals State Association or be a staff member of a local government with a National Council Package
- Be currently working in the Australian local government sector in a management role
- Be able to host exchange counterpart for one week in their home
- Have approval from current employer to take a leave of absence for two weeks
- Have not travelled overseas under any other programs of Local Government Professionals Australia in the last two years
- For US exchange, be able to obtain the relevant US visa
Please note Members from LGMA Queensland and LG Professionals Australia NSW are not eligible for the New Zealand exchange.
How to Apply
Applications are currently closed. Revisit this page and subscribe to our regular communications to find out when the applications re-open.
If you have any questions or require further information about the Exchange Program, please contact International Program Manager Alex at [email protected] or on (02) 6230 1824.